Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easter advent.



I thought I would share how my family is celebrating Easter this year.  My sister and her good friend created an Easter countdown that includes 12 tiny items and a Bible verse to accompany each one... and they were kind enough to gift me with my own "kit."  I popped each verse + item into dollar store plastic eggs, and we opened the first one this morning:

Egg #1!

 The kids, drinking their green smoothies while Dad reads the Bible verse for today and shows off the felt palm branches.  (ps, are you as distracted as I am by the crazy mop on my kid's head? it refuses to be styled.)


The morning was spent reading the Bible passage and talking to the kids about Palm Sunday.  I'm so excited to open the eggs as we go along, and Trisha and Melissa did such an amazing job with all of the tiny items.  (The fimo bread+grapes are so very cute, representing the last supper).

There is still time to make your own kit if you would like!  Here are the 12 days of Easter:

1. People waved palm branches as Jesus rode into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1-11)
2. Mary poured expensive perfume on Jesus' head (John 12: 2-8)
3. Jesus shared the last supper with his disciples (Matthew 26: 17-19)
4. Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver (Matthew 27:3)
5. Jesus carried his own cross (John 19: 17)
6. Soldiers placed a crown of thorns on Jesus' head (John 19:2)
7. Soldiers parted Jesus' garments and cast lots for his clothes (John 19:23)
8. Jesus was nailed to a cross and pierced in his side (John 19:18, 37; 20: 25-29)
9. They gave Jesus vinegar mixed with gall on a sponge to drink (Matthew 27:34)
10.Spices were used to prepare Jesus' body for burial (John 19:40)
11.The stone covering Jesus' tomb was rolled away (John 20:1)
12.The grave linens lay empty! He is alive! (John 20:6-7)



Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. How precious! :)
    And what a fun way to incorporate daily lessons in life...
    I know they are going to remember this for always!
    And the hair...
    adorable! :)
    I have a little guy with uncontrollable hair...
    regardless of how often you wet and comb it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! This is such a great idea. I will definitely keep this in mind for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea with the eggs. Such a great way to start off each day. And I love kids bed head!! My son refuses to cut his hair and his is the worst in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the love of all things fabulous... THIS is wonderful! LOVE it! When am I going to be organized enough to get sweet things like this accomplished? Hold me accountable... I must do this next Easter. (and honestly, I was little distracted by the mop - but in a "look at that awesome bed head!" way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is so fabulous, Elena! I'm sure your kids will love doing this with you! So meaningful!

    ReplyDelete